A few cases of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza [HPAI], type H5N8, were detected in Belgium in February and March 2017 in wild birds and in hobbyist holdings of captive birds.
HPAI H5N8 has been isolated again in June in Belgian amateur holdings of captive birds and moreover on 15th June in the facility of a bird dealer of different species, identified as the epidemiological link with the last hobbyists cases, and located in Oostkamp (West Flanders).
The bird merchant of Oostkamp is only dealing with amateur, non-professional, owners (hobbyists).
A Restriction zone [RZ] of 3 km has been determined around the infected hobby holdings. Euthanasia and destruction of the remaining birds and their products will be performed, and samples taken and sent to the official laboratory (CODA-CERVA).
Furthermore, a Protection Zone (PZ) of 3 kms and a Surveillance Zone [SZ] of 10 km has been determined around the holding of the bird merchant of Oostkamp. The SZ includes the localities of Oostkamp and Zedelgem and parts of the villages of Beernem, Brugge, Ichtegem, Jabbeke, Lichtervelde, Pittem, Torhout and Wingene
The maps are available on the following page http://www.afsca.be/santeanimale/grippeaviaire/mesures.asp
Inside the RZ, PZ and SZ, the following measures have been put in force:
- Confinement of all birds within the PZ around Oostkamp (the merchant outbreak);
- Prohibition of movements of poultry, captive birds and eggs;
- Prohibition to give feed and water to all birds (including captive birds) outside the building;
- Inventory of all birds kept inside the restriction zone and communication of the inventories to the mayors of the towns within 72 hours.
On a national level, the following measures starting on June 15th 2017, are still in force :
- Prohibition of poultry and captive bird markets;
- Prohibition of poultry gathering events (fairs, …).