Final report to the OIE, resolution of the event 16/08/2018.
Attestation of the CVO (EN) (FR) : Belgium disease-free status for Newcastle disease on 18th October 2018.
On the 4th of July 2018, the Newcastle disease (NCD) virus was confirmed at the premises
of a professional poultry dealer in the municipality of Haaltert (province of Oost-Vlaanderen), who sells birds to hobby holders.
Taking into account the definitions included in Chapter 10.9 of the OIE Code, Belgium lost its disease-free status for Newcastle disease.
The following measures were put in place to control and avoid dissemination of the disease :
- a stamping out policy is implemented in the outbreaks;
- a protection zone of 3 km and a surveillance zone of 10 km are delimited.
Besides these measures, the FAFSC started an epidemiological investigation to identify the cause of the NCD virus introduction.
The certification conditions laid down in the relevant protocols concluded between Belgium and the non-EU countries (third countries) will be scrupulously respected.
Weekly Follow-up Reports will be sent to the OIE, according to the procedure, and published on our website. In total, 3 outbreaks of NCD have been confirmed at the premises of professional poultry holdings of which two in East-Flanders (on the 4th and 9th of July 2018) and one in West-Flanders (on the 17th of July 2018).
Currently, there are no new outbreaks of NCD at premises of professional poultry holdings. On the 16th of August 2018, all the surveillances zones (including the protection zones) of the outbreaks have been lifted.
Since no other outbreaks occurred, Belgium regained its disease-free status for Newcastle disease on the 18th of October 2018.
- Event summary (OIE)
- Follow up Report No.6 (Final report) - 16/08/2018 (OIE) (PDF)
- Follow up Report No.5 - 13/08/2018 (OIE) (PDF)
- Follow up Report No.4 - 02/08/2018 (OIE) (PDF)
- Follow up Report No.3 - 26/07/2018 (OIE) (PDF)
- Follow up Report No.2 - 19/07/2018 (OIE) (PDF)
- Follow up Report No.1 - 12/07/2018 (OIE) (PDF)
- Immediate notification report (OIE) (PDF)
- Newcastle -Disease (OIE) (PDF)